Skip to main content

extra credit reading notes: mahabharata, part a

For part A, I want to focus on the character Kunti. I love how the story describes her as a celestial woman; it sounds so charming to me. Although Kunti is of a pious heart and seems to be a good woman, it is mentioned that King Pandu still loved his other wife best. I can imagine this being painful for Kunti to know, but that's me thinking in modern times. From her service to Durvasas, it is apparent that Kunti is a woman who works hard for what she wants, which in this case is the charm that will make a celestial being fall in love with her. 
With my story, I want there to be a sense of Pride and Prejudice, as that is what the original story made me think of. I want to develop my main character around Kunti and her charm she has received. Along with developing Kunti, I want to keep some aspects of the original story, like the birth of Karna and involving Radha and Adhiratha. Maybe kind of like a modern day adoption story with a celestial twist? It sounds a little cheesy now, but. Think I can make it work. 
(Image information: Indra and Kunti obtained from PDE Mahabhratha)

Bibliography: Donald A. Mackenzie, Kunti and Her Son.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

introduction to an aspiring teacher

Hello! I'm Katelyn Callahan, a soon-to-be 21 year-old senior at the University of Oklahoma. Originally, I'm from Tulsa, OK, and I have lived in Oklahoma for the majority of my life minus about three years when I lived in Kansas. I'm an enneagram type one, so do with that what you will. In college, I'm studying Language Arts Education in hopes of becoming a middle school English teacher. As you might be able to presume from my major, I love to write. I especially love all things technical about writing, especially grammar.  Aside from my love for writing, I love cats! In fact, I love cats so much that I have a memorial tattoo for my childhood cat, Jasper. Below are some pictures of Jasper and the tattoo I got in his memory. Another fun fact: I got this tattoo in London while I was studying abroad! (Image information: personal photo of my late cat,  Jasper, July 2016) (Image information: personal photo of my tattoo  of Jasper by Georgina Liliane ,

comment wall

Please check out my portfolio,  Binsa's Journey . I appreciate all of your feedback! (Image information: The Churning of The Ocean of Milk obtained from  Rear-View-Mirror .)

week two story: family traditions

It was my first day at a new school in a new place, and I was not looking forward to it. I had never attended a public school, but my mom told me it was time.  "Rish, you're seventeen now. You know you have to do this to carry on our family's traditions," my mother pressured. "Mom, I know," I say, slipping the fresh canvas backpack over my shoulders.  I have never carried a schoolbag before, so this was different. My outdated textbooks weren't the only thing weighing me down, though. You see, the women in my family are all rakshasis.  If you don't know what rakshasis are, we're creatures with the ability to lure people in, then eat them when we feel it's right. Naturally, we aren't the most attractive, with two huge fangs protruding from our mouths and a not-so petite figure.  Luckily, we have the opportunity to shape shift into whatever we want. This makes luring even the least gullible very easy for us. In my family, w